Friday, November 24, 2006

 
Ice Skating.

Dad had a brilliant idea today. The kids were bored. They love hockey. We live in Michigan. We all used to ice skate.

Dad: Let's take the big kids ice skating. It's something different. As long as we have one skating adult for each kid, I think they'd do alright.

I looked around, counted big kids: Grace, Nathan, Jacob. One, two, three. Then I took another look and counted "skating adults". Dad, obviously was one, since it was his bright idea. Robyn with her giddy smile meant she was two, and was excited about it. Doug busted his knee a while back, and was holding the "not big kids" which meant he had a job and it didn't involve ice skates. Renee just came out and said it, "I'm not going." That settled that. Mom was waiting for Grandma to come over and needed to man the fort, she wasn't going. Turns out Dad's requirement for one skating adult for each kid was ultimately my way of volunteering even though I never said a word. I just owned a pair of iceskates. I made number three.

So, we loaded up the kids and went to the rink. The "skating adults" quickly realized that just because you used to do something, does not in any way mean that you still can. After a few warm-up/practice laps around the ice to "brush up" on our old skills, we encouraged the kids to join our shaky feet on the ice. I think Grace is the only one with some sense, thinking back on it. She didn't want to come out on the ice, and I can't say I blame her. I mean she just watched us wobble our way around the ice and then we told her to come out there with us while we held her hand. She must have thought we were crazy! We all ended up having a great time when it was all said and done. The boys used some makeshift "walkers" to help them around and Grace held our unsteady hands. Everyone had a good time and at the end of the 50 minute session we were all ready for some lunch. There was only one casualty all day. It will remain anonymous. Thanks for the idea, Dad. I was glad we went.

Comments:
You're welcome.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?